Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and ...

Don Ohmes wrote:

> Surely large size would help there. Although the functional
> contrast between shark-like teeth and conical teeth would
> seem to indicate different prey, and therefore likely a
> limited competitive interface w/ the shark-toothed species,
> as has often pointed out. Are there other known cone-toothed
> species? Excepting the croc equivalents, of course...

There's the unenlagiine dromaeosaurid _Austroraptor_ (5m long) of South
America, which is the closest thing to a spinosaur mimic: long and low snout,
small and conical teeth, and short forearms (especially by deinonychosaur
standards).

P.S.  I would use the term "shark-like teeth" advisedly, given that sharks show
a huge variation in the size and shape of their teeth.  Even among predatory
sharks - such as a great white, tiger shark, and grey nurse (sandtiger) - the
morphology of the teeth can be very distinctive.

Cheers

Tim