Re: Series of articles on Nate Murphy

"Prospecting" is a general term used when anyone, professional or
amateur, looks for new fossils.

As for the line "He said Murphy was not a scientist; he was a
prospector looking for valuable material" I think it was a fairly
accurate description. He was acting less as a scientist, looking for
new specimens and the knowledge they could contain, and pretty much
like mineral prospectors, only out for the value of what he was
collecting. Plus, we all know how much reporters paraphrase and mince
words from what was actually said to what is reported as having been
said, so take it with a grain of salt.

At no time did they ever use the term prospector to refer to amateurs
and commercial collectors, just to Murphy. He gives commercial
collectors a bad name with his thefts and lying.