Re: Series of articles on Nate Murphy

In a message dated 5/4/2009 2:16:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
baziak@gmail.com writes:

< "Prospecting" is a general term used when anyone, professional  or
amateur, looks for new fossils. >
Co-opted term from other pursuits.

< As for the line "He said Murphy was not a scientist; he was  a
prospector looking for valuable material" I think it was a  fairly
accurate description. >
It was a _very_ accurate statement.  Someone told me that Murphy was
pretty good in the field but didn't know the science.

< He was acting less as a scientist, looking for
new specimens and  the knowledge they could contain, and pretty much
like mineral prospectors,  only out for the value of what he was
collecting. Plus, we all know how much  reporters paraphrase and mince
words from what was actually said to what is  reported as having been
said, so take it with a grain of salt.>
This does sometimes happen but the quotes and paraphrased statements  from
Brian Cornell are straight-forward.  What do you think may have been
misinterpreted?

< At no time did they ever use the term prospector to refer to  amateurs
and commercial collectors, just to Murphy. He gives  commercial
collectors a bad name with his thefts and lying. >
I never said that they did; what I said was that it would be a good term
for amateur and commercial collectors.  Let's leave the term paleontologist
for those who have earned it.

I am still flabbergasted that SVP let itself get hoodwinked by a  carny.

Mary

http://billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/05/03/news/state/18-spectacular.txt

--

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.