Vulture warm up

Listers --

Here are some very nifty pix taken very recently by a friend of a friend
in Fort Collins, Colorado.

http://picasaweb.google.com/heidemom/Vultures?authkey=Gv1sRgCNuQpdaq8qHu6wE&feat=directlink

They were taken in the morning, so can we assume the birds had their wings
spread to warm up? If this is so, what does it say about a vulture's
ability to regulate its body temp? (I don't think many other types of
birds engage in this behavior.) Does this behavior (the urge -- or need --
to warm up in the sun) say anything about your typical Mesozoic theropod?
Or are vultures a special case due to their scavenging habits (especially
low metabolism, maybe???)?

-- Donna Braginetz