Re: Vulture warm up

Yes, our chickens do this (lying down with one wing expanded, facing the sun)
frequently on cold, sunny mornings here in OR. They also do this on hot summer
afternoons, however, usually while lying on bare ground in the shade, so it may
serve to help radiate excess heat. Fluffing body and wing feathers in loose,
dry dust is probably also a way to foil parasites by clogging parasites'
spiracles and other airways by clogging them with fine dust particles. --Mark
Hallett