Re: Nate Murphy 4

This series of articles has been very well written. I was especially taken with
the comments by Dave Trexler, where he said that it was not ivory-tower
academics looking down on Murphy, but in fact Murphy's own deception that led
to his downfall. This was an important point to make given the usual
anti-intellectual backlash after accusations of this kind.

I will say that a few times I was slightly jarred by suggestion that fossils
retrieved from state or federal lands somehow belonged to the government.
Fossils on public lands belong to the American people; either the people of
Montana (state land) or the country as a whole (BLM etc). In a state such as
Montana, where in some areas anti-government sentiment runs high (especially
those areas where many of these fossils are found), it is not good to imply
that the government took fossils away from Murphy et al, and that state-owned
museums are in some way acting like federal agents (believe me, this perception
is widely held in some areas). The public-owned fossils were taken away from
private individuals who took them from public lands, and kept them as their
own, and were placed into the public trust (Museum of the Rockies) where
members of the public can come and see them, given some notice. Some of these
same fossils (once properly curated) were then
 sent back out to local museums in the towns closest to where they were
extracted, so that these communities can have good fossils on display, and
bring in some more visitors. These fossils are technically on loan from the
Museum of the Rockies, but that is really an unfortunate term: the MOR merely
holds them in trust for the American people, and that includes residents of
Malta: the people own the fossils not the MOR. This might seem like stating the
obvious, but it is a contentious point in many of these communities, and
something we explain over and over (which is fair enough).

On another note, I should add that there is no excuse at all for "accidentally"
straying on to public lands in Montana. From reading the article, you might
think that it is a confusing mess as to whether prospected land is owned by
farmers or is public land leased for grazing (etc). For the state of Montana,
detailed land ownership maps have been available free online for a few years
now, and they are updated regularly. Indeed, topo maps, drainage, geology quads
are all there.. it's a superb resource:

http://nris.mt.gov/

Given the easy and free availability of this data, there is no excuse
whatsoever for conducting an excavation on public lands 'accidentally'. As the
article points out, this is willful ignorance perpetrated in order to be able
to provide a weak excuse if caught stealing. I appreciate that other states do
not have such detailed information available (and I really wish they did), but
in Montana there is no excuse.

D.

Denver Fowler
df9465@yahoo.co.uk