RE: Pneumaticity in Triassic pterosaurs OFFLIST

> aren't phylogeny and phenetics different?  if
> they're the same, why not use one word?

they are similar but not the same. You can look them up online or in a
dictionary

> > Third, if a given matrix and its scores deliver a
> single MPT in which all sister taxa are similar in size,
> shape, niche and chronology, isn't that a good result?
>
>  I know I'd be suspicious - look at bats.

Always be suspicious. Go back to MacClade and look for problems. Suspicious,
btw implies 'belief' which should be taken out and tested.

> or, to bring this back to dinosaurs, aren't
> therizinosaurs most similar in size, shape, and niche to the
> prosauropods?

We're also talking every last bone and every last shape of every last bone.

> >> you're interested.
> >>
> >> Erm, PAUP* will do that... :-)
> >>

> > By that I meant, if you are accidentally excluding any
> pertinent taxa, you should be told.
>
> I know there's a difference between not being aware of
> excluding taxa, and not listening when it comes to excluding
> taxa....there's a way to distinguish the two, yes?

To each his own.

> >> - For the probably twentieth time, the vertebrate
> fossil
> >> record -- let alone our knowledge of it!!! --
> simply
> >> isn't complete enough that we could expect to
> do what
> >> the Unnameable Ones ask us to do (to present them
> a complete
> >> series of transitional fossils documenting each
> and every
> >> speciation-or-whatever between two arbitrary
> endpoints).
> >
> > Respectfully, that's an opinion, David. If I can
> do it, you can too.
>
> I can misspell the names of most prehistoric taxa.  does
> that mean you should too?
> :D

I won't be able to reply any more, Anthony, as you're making a joke of this.

> > Also, when you say 'complete series' I hope
> you don't mean every mother's son. What I'm
> saying is you'll be able to line them up like the famous
> Australopithecus to Homo sapiens march.
>
> really?
>
> and here I thought evolutionary history was more
> bush-shaped than ladder-shaped.

Indeed, when you look at the whole picture. But from bacteria to you there is
indeed a ladder of parent and child excluding uncles and siblings.