Re: Theft of dinosaur bones from Glen Canyon--followup

I too despise mistreatment of women or any other human being.
That would include innocent people who have been accused of
wrongdoing, e.g. taking artifacts from public lands. Once
someone has been convicted, that's another matter (though
you're still on thin ice spreading that sort of info around).
But to post to a listserver an *accusation* that someone has
committed an act--even if previously reported on the esteemed
Salt Lake Tribune website--before he is convicted of anything,
is simply wrong, in my opinion.

So, what was the point of Dan Chure's original post that
prompted me to make my flippant and not-too-apropos-after-all
response?

Was it to shock and awe the rest of us (many of whom are
professional paleontologists but some of whom might just be
private collectors thinking about grabbing some bones during
the night) into *not even thinking about* doing that the next
time we visit Glen canyon or any other site..?

Was it to slander Mr. Lindsey? (a personal grudge perhaps?)

Was it just to kill time..?

I really can't fathom the point of making a post to this list
accusing someone of something unless he has been convicted
of it. (and even then, see above). Innocent persons are one
of those protected groups everyone's defending now. Augusto's
point about an easy-trigger tendency in our western culture
is apropos but falls far short. Many cornerstones of American
society, including "innocent until proven guilty", are eroding
or being turned on their head.

I can't help but wonder if we as dinosaur paleontologists, a
kind of post-civilization academic enclave, realize how messed
up much of the world really is.

Aach, look, it's already time for afternoon tea.