Re: oldest T.rex ancestor found

Why, Oh Why, do people feel the need to make such vague or undefined statements
to reporters...

"identified dinosaur has become the oldest known relative of the fierce
meat-eater, Tyrannosaurus rex"

Well.... coelophisis, being a theropod is a relative of T-rex.
Likewise Herrasaurus is a relative of T-Rex, as is any early archosaur, or any
stem tetrapod.... or stem vertebrate... I can go on back to the first cell...

Everything is at least a very distant relative to everything else (accepting
that the three major domains of life, Archaea, Bactera, and Eukaryotes share an
origin, although some suggest that 1 of these groups had a separate origin from
pre-biotic chemistry, or at least a separate origin from the "RNA world", but I
don't agree, and I'm digressing.

"We can say conclusively it's the earliest representative of the line of
evolution that led to Tyrannosaurus"

You can't say anything conclusively until you define what you mean by the "line
of evolution that led to T-Rex)

After all, a tetrapod led to T-Rex...... and thus a stem tetrapod is part of
that line of evolution that lead there.

What they probably really mean is it was part of the line that lead to T-Rex,
but not a line that lead to any of the other well known dinosaur groups, unlike
some reptile in the Permian that lead to T-rex, and EVERY other dinosaur.

But of course its highly likely this new relative of T-Rex lead to species that
were not Tyrannosaurs at all, we just haven't found what it did lead to.

You can always find another "oldest XXXX" if you make the definition of XXXX
inclusive enough.