Re: New BBC series research

Alex Freeman's message got truncated for some of us. Here is it again (with my comments below):

the new series I'm working on.

I'm working at the BBC Science department, starting research on a new
series on vertebrate palaeontology (mostly dinosaurs, but other mesozoic
creatures will be covered).  It will feature CGI animation, but also at
least 50% of the programme will be on the actual research, showing what
we can tell from a fossil, and how (we want to showcase a variety of
techniques).

We're trying to avoid the 'Usual Suspects' (T rex and the like), and
feature less well-known (by the public at least) beasts and recent
discoveries.  Having said that, the usual TV requirements will not go
away - big, fierce, and weird are all winners!

So, I'd love to hear from anyone about their 'favourite' beast which
they think deserves the limelight, stunning fossils that tell us a lot
about a particular species, group, or environment, unusual techniques
that are revealing new findings - anything, really!  At this stage it is
almost carte blanche.

I can't tell you all too much about the series apart from the above, for
commercial confidentiality reasons.  It is pretty well-funded (we hope
to be able to film fossils wherever they are) and is a co-production
between the BBC and a US channel, with worldwide distribution.  Feel
free to Google me if you want to know more about my credentials - I
don't want to fill up your inboxes unnecessarily!  I'm not a
palaeontologist, but I have a biology background.

Thanks for your time,

Alex

I must say, that's wonderful. I don't know where to start with suggestions. Triassic marine (trematosaurid) and possibly euryhaline (metoposaurid, cyclotosaurid, plagiosaurid) temnospondyls? (The plagiosaurid *Gerrothorax* recently became famous as the toilet-lid animal.) Dinosaurs like *Limusaurus* or neovenatorids or the insanely bizarre *Nigersaurus*? *Sinoconodon* (which was a lot bigger than most people seem to think, and not as crown-mammal-like)? Jurassic tyrannosauroids (*Proceratosaurus*, *Guanlong*, perhaps *Tanycolagreus*)? *Leedsichthys*? *Neoceratodus africanus*, the lungfish whose size is open-ended? (Ask Paul Sereno about the dinosaurs and crocodiles that lived around it.) *Mawsonia* and *Megalocoelacanthus*? Terrestrial crocodiles? Omnivorous and herbivorous terrestrial crocodiles? Marine crocodiles from *Teleosaurus* and *Steneosaurus* over *Metriorhynchus* to *Dakosaurus*? *Eocaecilia*? Noterpetontid salamanders... well, their fossils are utterly unphotogenic...but the Chinese salamanders (some, probably all, of which are cryptobranchoid) would kick ass on camera. Cretaceous marine squamates (mosasaurs, dolichosaurs, whatnots, *Adriosaurus*, snakes)? Cretaceous terrestrial snakes, monstersaurians ( = total-group helodermatids) and goannasaurians ( = total-group varanids)? Sphenodontians -- *Pleurosaurus*, *Ankylosphenodon*, *Priosphenodon*, *Cynosphenodon*? Triassic ichthyosaurs? And if it goes down to the Middle Triassic: chroniosuchians?

In short, I'm trying to suggest an overview over the wide wondrous diversity of vertebrates in four dimensions.