RE: Postosuchus stance

 <BLU148-W24CE0B3EDBC2388A2B350DDCAF0@phx.gbl>

[To those particular of you who care=2C this post has been sent in plain te=
xt -- according to my mailing interface.]

=A0 The argument on lips has=2C so far=2C been stalemated in the literature=
=3B and I emphasize this because the response to Witmer's argument hasn't b=
een published (although it was presented at this year's SVP[CA] and in the =
abstract volume {which is detail-less on the finer points})=2C much like ho=
w Witmer's proposition has also not been published -- in detail=2C at any r=
ate.

Cheers=2C

Jaime A. Headden

"Innocent=2C unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969)

"Human beings=2C who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from =
the experience of others=2C are also remarkable for their apparent disincli=
nation to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different lan=
guage and a new way of looking at things=2C the human race has had a dream:=
 to kill him=2C so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of lo=
oking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

> Date: Fri=2C 6 Nov 2009 13:16:04 -0800
> From: tehdinomahn@live.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: RE: Postosuchus stance
>

> Regardless of whether _Postosuchus_ was bipedal or quadrupedal=2C the fee=
t must have been plantigrade. Although A. Walker and Chatterjee have sugges=
ted that ornithisuchids and poposaurids were digitigrade=2C the crurotarsan=
 ankle and generally crocodilian-like nature of the pes supports plantigrad=
y. The Chirotherium tracks also support this.

> Oh=2C and just for the record=2C the osteological evidence strongly sugge=
sts that rauisuchians had squamate-like "lip" tissue=2C as in theropods=2C =
and unlike the naked teeth of crocodilians. (I mention this merely because =
I have scarcely seen any artwork showing them this way.)

> ~ Michael
>

>> Date: Fri=2C 6 Nov 2009 12:24:58 -0800
>> From: ddkrentz@charter.net
>> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
>> Subject: Postosuchus stance
>>
>> What trackways have been attributed to Postosuchus? Do they show
>> full plantigrade feet=2C ( is a crurotarstian considered
>> plantigrade) ? Do they show a wide stance with in the front arms or
>> are they more indicative of a more erect posture?
>> Does the manus rotate outwards?
>>
>> This is truly a really cool creature!

                                         =20
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/