Re: And Your Bird Can Sing-Mesozoic theropod vocalizations?

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> Roaring requires thickened vocal cords. I don't think birds actually have
> vocal cords, although that
> doesn't necessarily rule out their presence in dinosaurs.

Aren't vocal cords/folds a mammalian (or therian?) synapomorphy?

Birds have syringes (plural of syrinx, not the medical needles)
instead, although I'm not sure how widespread they are throughout the
crown group. Do palaeognathes have them? If so, at least some
stem-avians probably had them, too.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California