Fast walking tachyaerobic dinosaurs

Pontzer et al. in PLoS One used estimated sustained walking speeds derived
from hip height to show that the dinosaurs probably needed the high aerobic
capacity characteristic of tachyaerobic mammals and birds. I did much the
same thing using large samples of dinosaur trackway based speed estimates.
Archaic fossil reptile trackways record the very slow mean speeds
characteristic of bradyaerobic animals with limited sustainable aeroboc
exercise
performance. We humans can easily and usually do walk at speeds well above
those of
oras and crocs. Both bipedal and quadrupedal dinosaurs of all sizes tended
to walk at the high speeds that exceed the reptilian sustainable maximum and
matches those of birds and mammals. The high aerobic capacity probably
required that the resting energy state be tachymetabolic, producing
tachyenergetic endothermy. The calculations are in Dinosaurs of the Air (2002);
Modern
Geology (1998) 23: 179-217; 405-408 in D. Thurston and K. Fujita (eds), 1992
Proceedings International Conference on Arctic Margins (1994); with G. Leahy
(1994) The Paleontological Society Special Publication 7: 177-198; and will
be in the upcoming Complete Dinosaur.

GSPaul

</HTML>