FW: ooo missed this one - this will stir the BAND pot

Your last sentence Phillip says WUDS doesn't explain why that particular
debate has never resolved itself (and cannot be mentioned here). You don"t
know BUT I do. Understand that this is strictly OFF LINE. --dale

> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:42:51 +0000
> From: bigelowp@juno.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: ooo missed this one - this will stir the BAND pot
>

> http://www.earthmagazine.org/earth/article/297-7d9-a-1f
>

> It's doubtful it will do much to stir anybody's pot. Martin, Feduccia, and
> Ruben, are a few loud holdouts. In reality, this debate effectively ended
> about 20 years ago. The preponderance of evidence in favor of BAD had been
> around even before the feathered Chinese dinos were discovered in the 1990s.
>
> What you are witnessing is a phenomenon that all researchers know about, but
> few of them are comfortable talking about (at least in public). I don't know
> what the official term* is for the phenomenon. Science (capital "S" science)
> often resolves debates between the Young Turks and the Old Guard by letting
> Nature take its course. The Old Guard eventually retire from their tenured
> jobs, then they die, and since the debate was largely settled long ago, there
> are no (or few) followers stupid enough to lean down and pick up the torch.
> Without any opposition to go to for quotes, the press doesn't report on the
> "on-going debate" (sic) anymore. Voila. Issue settled.
>
> This happened with the critics of Copernicus, Galileo, Einstein and many
> others. It is less about science, and more about egos. As I get older, I am
> increasingly amazed at how much of "scientific debate" is, in reality, a very
> public version of the good ol' fashioned "office politics".
>
> Debate keeps the scientists interested. But the real science often takes
> place when there is a generation change. Retirement and death often does a
> surprisingly good job of cleaning the House O' Science of its old clutter.
>

> * If there is no official term for the phenomenon, then I propose the acronym
> WUDS. "Wait Until Death - Science"
>
> p.s. WUDS obviously hasn't happened with the evolution-CXXXXXXX debate. I
> don't know the reason.

> Weight Loss Program
> Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=qnjrIpkaEmW797_Zw7N0zQAAJz20rA-rue7ZDWIRF7zs8XuYAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEUgAAAAA=

Eligible CDN College & University students can upgrade to Windows 7 before Jan
3 for only $39.99. Upgrade now!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691819