Re: ooo missed this one - this will stir the BAND pot

I actually meant to send the response to the list, so here it is:

This is called Planck's Principle, but in fact it looks like only a very few
Old Guard hold out. In fact most of those who adopt the new theory in any
discipline early are those who are tenured; graduate students treat it as a bad
bet in the early days. That a few hold outs exist among more mature researchers
if due to the fact they bet their careers on the competing hypothesis and to
back down would lose them notoriety.

Hull, David L., Peter D. Tessner, and Arthur M. Diamond. 1978. Planck's
Principle. Science 202 (4369):717-723.

Levin, Sharon G., Paula E. Stephan, and Mary Beth Walker. 1995. Planck's
Principle Revisited: A Note. Social Studies of Science 25 (2):275-283.

--
John Wilkins, Philosophy, Uni Sydney
Blog: http://evolvingthoughts.net/

Who, too deep for his hearers, still went on refining.
And thought of convincing while they thought of dining;
Though equal to all things, for all things unfit;
Too nice for a statesman, too proud for a wit. [Goldsmith: "Retaliation"]
Species: A history of the idea http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php