Darwinopterus, Pterorhynchus and Wukongopterus

Darwinopterus, Pterorhynchus and Wukongopterus

As Jaime has pointed out, Darwinopterus and Pterorhynchus are clearly distinct
from one another. Pterorhynchus has a relatively small skull, short neck and
short legs compared to Darwinopterus and the dentition would appear to be quite
different. This conclusion is consistent with the phylogenetic analysis that Lü
et al (2009) conducted for Darwinopterus where the two taxa are separated by
around 20 steps.

Wukongopterus was collected from the same locality as Darwinopterus and in a
rerun of our (i.e. Lü et al. 2009) phylogenetic analysis that included this
taxon it paired with Darwinopterus in a well supported sister group
relationship with Pterodactyloidea. Excluding Darwinopterus had no impact on
tree topology. I attempted to repeat Wang et al’s analysis so that I could
include Darwinopterus, but have been unable to replicate their results so far.
Direct comparison of Darwinopterus with published details of Wukongopterus
suggests that they are very similar although, as already noted by Jaime, there
seem to be some minor differences in dentition and jaw shape. Whether these are
sufficient to justify continued separation of these taxa has yet to be resolved
but, in any case, it doesn’t appear that IVPP V15113 adds much either to our
understanding of Darwinopterus, or of pterosaur interrelationships. As I
mentioned at SVP, we have already come across numerous examples of
Darwinopterus (Zhou, Zhou and Schoch presented an abstract on another very nice
specimen of Darwinopterus at SVP this year) and this taxon looks set to become
one of the better known pterosaur genera. Watch out soon for another paper on
Darwinopterus which will comment on the taxonomic issues raised above.

Cheers,

Dave
DAVID M UNWIN
Reader in Palaeobiology