Re: *Triceratops horrida*

> It follows that, because of Art. 34.2 of the ICZN, *T.
> horridus* and *T. prorsus* must immediately become *T.
> horrida* and *T. prorsa*, with author and date unchanged (no
> formal emendation, the corrected versions are _already_
> correct and always have been):
> http://www.iczn.org/iczn/includes/page.jsp?article=34
>
> And this goes for all other -ops names, all the way to
> *Eryops megacephal...a*.
>
> Have I overlooked something? Is the dictionary wrong?

I can't comment on the esteemed Liddell & Scott, but what I do know is that
ancient Greek texts are replete with names of male individuals that end in -ops
(Pelops, Merops, Dolops, Dryops, Phaenops, etc) and names of female individuals
that end in -ope (Merope, Asterope, Calliope, Dryope, Sinope, etc).  So
something is being overlooked.  There is no way that _Triceratops_ (or any
other genus ending in _ceratops_) is feminine.

Cheers

Tim