Re: *Triceratops horrida*

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:27 AM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> Horrid, yes, but *Triceratops* is a she, not a he:
> http://old.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3D%2376282
>
> HÃ is the feminine article, ho is masculine, o is neuter.
>
> (It says "B" in there. There is an "A", see below, but that, too, is
> feminine, and it means "voice/word", so it almost certainly wasn't meant
> anyway.
> http://old.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3D%2376281
> http://old.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0058%3Aentry%3D%2324026
> http://old.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0073%3Aentry%3D%237085)
>
> It follows that, because of Art. 34.2 of the ICZN, *T. horridus* and *T.
> prorsus* must immediately become *T. horrida* and *T. prorsa*, with author
> and date unchanged (no formal emendation, the corrected versions are
> _already_ correct and always have been):
> http://www.iczn.org/iczn/includes/page.jsp?article=34
>
> And this goes for all other -ops names, all the way to *Eryops
> megacephal...a*.
>
> Have I overlooked something? Is the dictionary wrong?

You are overlooking this bit from the ICZN:

30.1.4.3. A compound genus-group name ending in -ops is to be treated
as masculine, regardless of its derivation or of its treatment by its
author.

Now, *why* the ICZN specifies this I do not now.

--
Andreas Johansson