RE: Wukongopterus and Darwinopterus

  As I mentioned, none of these taxa were placed in a single analysis together,
so the lack of replicatability of various analyses is no surprise (it is like
asking Marsh, Hatcher and Lull to have noted the distinctions in the
*Centrosaurus*--*Pachyrhinosaurus* transition series!):  *Pterorhynchus* was
only subjected to cladistic analysis by Lü et al, along with *Darwinopterus*;
Wang et al. mentioned but did not include *Pterorhynchus* while analyzing
*Wukongopterus*, but at this time it is likely that the authors were not aware
or and/or did not have time to analyze *Darwinopterus* as I am sure even by the
time of SVP[CA], their paper was beyond the proof stage (major assumption).

  I am not even getting into the taxonomic differences between the analysis and
their other included/excluded non-pterodactyloid/dsunjaripteroid/whatever-oid
taxa.  Hopefully, this transition, which now has two new members -- and one
recently new-ish -- can be better studied in detail, and whether it is
convergent in any aspect, or the features which describe their anatomy are
truly "transitional" in aspect, can be resolved to decent confidence.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

disinclination to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

Backs)

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009v2