Re: New BBC series research

2009/11/8 john hunt <john.bass@ntlworld.com>:
>>> How abut the British Wealden group?  Baryonyx, Neovenetar, Eotyrannus and
>>> the stuff they fed on.
>>
>> How can you go talking about THOSE crappy Wealden dinosaurs and
>> overlook the unquestionable master of them all?
>>
>> My name is Xenoposeidon, king of kings:
>> Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
>
> All those theropods had to eat something!
>
> Can you do a reconstruction from 1 bone?

Can we?  No.  But did we?  Heck, yeah!
       http://svpow.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/xenoposeidon-skeleton.jpeg

> Are the other Wealden sauropod
> remains attributable to the same species - hell there is a full program just
> on that!

If only we knew!  As SV-POW! fans will know, Wealden sauropod
systematics is a mess.  Partly that's just because so many specimens
are fragmentary, partly it's because the Wealden's involvement in the
earliest days of dino palaeontology means that it had a lot of genera
named on what we now recognise as non-diagnostic specimens, and partly
it's because various people, hoping to clear all this up, have instead
made it much worse by referring various specimens to different genera
and synonymising left right and centre on inadequate evidence.  While
it's clear that there is no other known sauropod vertebra remotely
like the Xeno holotype, it's still possible that, for example, the
Pelorosaurus conybeari humerus is from the same animal.

Most tantalising of all: I've never seen the dorsal vertebrae of the
privately owned Barnes High sauropod.  It's possible (not likely, but
possible) that they have a substantially complete Xenoposeidon there.
Fingers crossed that time will tell!