Re: Ceratosauria vs. Neotheropoda?

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Or whichever bird one might want to use; I've not been particularly fond of
> *Vultur gryphus,* nor do I think it's a particularly exemplary species of
> bird [perhaps *Columba livia* instead?].)

What makes a bird "exemplary"? Any measure is likely to be subjective.
(Condors probably find themselves perfectly exemplary.)

Best you could do might be "closest in resemblance to the ancestor" in
which case we should probably be using a tinamou species....

_Vultur gryphus_ was used because it was the first avian listed by
Linnaeus (1758). Fairly objective criterion.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California