Re: Ceratosauria vs. Neotheropoda?

In Sereno's defense, he realized the error of his ways in framing a definition
of Ceratosauria that included _Coelophysis_ (but not _Ceratosaurus_) as an
internal specifier.  Thus, he later (2005) coined a new definition that
replaced _Coelophysis_ with _Ceratosaurus_.  This was a good move (although
belated), because it meant that _Ceratosaurus_ is guaranteed to be a member of
the clade that takes its name, irrespective of _Ceratosaurus_'s phylogenetic
position relative to other theropods.

However long before this point, Holtz and Padian (1995) had erected a
stem-based definition for the clade Ceratosauria ("All theropods closer to
_Ceratosaurus_ than to birds").  This definition was essentially retained by
Sereno (2005) ("_Ceratosaurus nasicornis_ but not _Passer domesticus_").
Personally, I think this definition is fine, although I agree that it can't
hurt to include _Allosaurus fragilis_ as an external specifier.

At one stage, Marsh (1895) included ornithomimids in the Ceratosauria.

Cheers

Tim