Vancleavea campi

A big thank you to Alex Downs for a great paper and excellent prep work. Very
excited to see that the description of Vancleavea finally came out.

I see that Nesbitt et al. nested Vancleavea between Erythrosuchus and
proterochampsids on a tree that included only 12 taxa(!) They must have somehow
known ahead of time where it would fit.

I tossed it into my Amniote matrix (187 taxa) and found it to nest outside of
the gamut of 12 taxa. A forced shift to proterochampsids adds 37 steps, to
erythrosuchids adds 52 steps.

So, testing does not validate results in this case.

David Peters
St. Louis