visible geologic noxious gas

First, let me preface this email with the fact that I failed in chemistry and many other science based subjects-heck, I failed art once. Please be gentle with me.

The scene I've created for the show I'm on involves dinosaurs being choked to death in a low altitude by some kind of geologic event.

What kinds of VISIBLE noxious gases do volcanoes emit before eruptions? From what I understand carbon dioxide is odorless and invisible. Unfortunately its something that does not play well visually. Is there some way it could become visible? Mixed with water vapour? Do sulfer gases have the same effect on wildlife that carbon monoxide does? Is sulfer as heavy as CO2? Are there any modern locations that I can site?

The scene I've created for the show I'm on involves dinosaurs being choked to death in a low altitude by some kind of geologic event.

D  (thats my initial, not my grade)