Re: Dragon's Paradise Lost - re-planting KD's in Oz

2009/10/1, Jura <pristichampsus@yahoo.com wrote>:

> While the idea appears good on the surface, there is a problem with raising
> native animals and then having them released in the wild. Part of it is just
> that they will go into the wild with a lack of fear of humans. That can
> result in native animals turning into pests.

I do not understand why lack of fear to humans makes them pests. In
any case, feral cats and hogs can be very shy of men also.

Regarding the pest issue, it can be that re-colonization by becoming
feral auments excessively the number of some integrants of the fauna,
and leads to loss of ecological equilibria (or natural dynamics) in
the population numbers of the species of the fauna. Yet, if the number
of native species used as pets is large, it is less likely that all
them became extinct, at least until we become aware of in which way to
release better fits these population dynamics. In any case, it is
better than foreign invaders replacing other living forms, at least in
this case the same living form is not replacing another beast, but
occupying its original niche.

> The other problem is the potential for a captive raised animal to spread
> disease to wild populations. This has happened with gopher tortoises in the
> states. Captive animals that were released into the wild, brought respiratory
> infections from their captive conditions (they were likely released because
> they had said infections). This has resulted in widespread respiratory
> infections in wild tortoise populations.

True... But has this to lead to extinction of the species necessarily?
I would suppose that if the species is large in numbers (as we should
increase their number by making them part of the anthropic realm),
they will be more robust against infection. In any case, it may be
that this factor affects differently different species, for example,
turtles may lower their population even more than before with
reintroduction of captives, but this does not happen with feral hogs,
even when they may have a good number of diseases...