RE: PLoS T.rex infection paper nomenclature question

 <958fcd230910011253p1abe096r209f023169997ce0@mail.gmail.com>

Mike Taylor wrote:

<Except of course in the case of Brachiosaurus and the horribly named(*) Gi=
raffatitan -- for those two=2C the Platonic truth of the matter is clear to=
 see.>

=A0 The best part about a statement like that is that the missing "In my op=
inion" is hidden=2C implied by the reader=2C implied by the author to a per=
centage we cannot see=2C and in some cases is an abstracted belief.

=A0 There are people=2C who invoking so called "truths=2C" firmly and concr=
etely argue that they are in fact invariable=2C incontrovertible=2C and unf=
alsifiable.=A0 I=2C of course=2C cannot utter the term used for these peopl=
e on this list=2C but it's the same "truth" as the argument that you can sp=
lit a genus or argue there is special value between two sister species in a=
 single genus versus two sister genera with a single species each.

=A0 Currie understands the distinction=2C and his answer to the issue of us=
e of *Gorgosaurus* over *Albertosaurus* for *libratus* is simple=2C at leas=
t it was when last I asked him about it:=A0 Use what works.=A0 Or something=
 like that. Others have argued that if the development of the nomenclature =
causes more issues than what was before it=2C in that it increases confusio=
n AND reduces information in the system=2C then it is likely that nemclatur=
al change is not useful.=A0 When it comes to *Brachiosaurus brancai*=2C you=
 can simply not use *Giraffatitan*:=A0 There is no rule that says you must.

Cheers=2C

Jaime A. Headden

"Innocent=2C unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969)

"Human beings=2C who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from =
the experience of others=2C are also remarkable for their apparent disincli=
nation to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different lan=
guage and a new way of looking at things=2C the human race has had a dream:=
 to kill him=2C so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of lo=
oking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
                                          =0A=
Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web.  Try  Bing=99 now=0A=
http://www.bing.com?form=3DMFEHPG&publ=3DWLHMTAG&crea=3DTEXT_MFEHPG_Core_ta=
gline_try bing_1x1=