FW: Komodo Dragon venom -

 <146370.68715.qm@web63804.mail.re1.yahoo.com>

WHOOOOOAA!!!
=20
Don't like laelling things?? Welcome to the human race! That's what we do.
Be carefull when you suggest that animals don't have morals. They sure do.
>From arthropods on up. "Morals" are the clergy's word for "animal instincts=
".
You should not separate humans from animals this way. Different groups of
fauna have different elevations of "morals". By that I mean "complexity".
=20
You've never seen cats kill for fun? Know how to torture other animals to
get something from them? Call it instinct if you want. Just because so many
people can't bring themselves to utter the "E" word (evolution) and connect
with our distant past ........ --dale

> Date: Fri=2C 2 Oct 2009 09:28:32 -0700
> From: erikboehm07@yahoo.com
> To: augustoharo@gmail.com
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu=3B d_ohmes@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: Komodo Dragon venom -
>
>> From: Augusto Haro=20
>> I do not try to be agressive with
>> this=2C but personally=2C I do not like
>> putting on animals the label of "unloyal" or
>> "untrustworthy"=2C as if
>> they were moral subjects.
>> these animals are solitary animals which we put in
>> contact with
>> us without asking=2C they were not made to be our pets or to
>> respect our
>> social conventions.
>
> I agree=2C trust implies a mutual pact between two individuals=2C while a=
 human may think such a pact exists=2C the animal may have no concept of th=
is.
> While there may be a legitimate bond between a human and dog (or cat)=2C =
a snake and a stranger have no bond or pact.

> A lion is not immoral because it kills a gazelle=2C especially since it i=
s an obligate carnivore=2C whereas humans hunt animals often without need (=
I personally feel its fine as long as they eat the animal=2C and don't do i=
t just for fun).
> A snake isn't immoral because it eats a mouse=2C and in its mind there ma=
y be no distinction between a mouse=2C a cat=2C or a persons arm that smell=
s like a cat...

> They may have no concept of what a "pet" is=2C nor did they ever agree to=
 be a "pet".
> Rather than being a moral judgement=2C it is a judgment of an aspect of t=
heir cognitive capabilities.

> As far as I'm concerned=2C the reason you can have snakes as pets=2C is b=
ecause the snake doesn't judge you as suitable prey=2C and doesn't view you=
 as a threat=2C so it permits you to hold it.

> Thus if for some reason it does think you (or a part of you) is suitable =
prey (such as an appendage that smells like a cat or rodent)=2C it will act=
 as it does when it finds prey.

> After all=2C you feed cats and dogs processed food that the animal doesn'=
t have to kill.
> With a snake=2C you put in a live rodent and let the snake do what it doe=
s best=2C no attempt is made by the human to get rid of the predatory respo=
nse.
> So the response is retained=2C and occasionally it comes out when the sna=
ke makes a mistake in judging what is suitable prey.

>                                         =0A=
New! Get to Messenger faster: Sign-in here now!=0A=
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9677407=