RE: Herrerasaurus - what was it?

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of B tH
>
> Agree or disagree?
>

> http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G104/figures/104Saurischia.png
>

> Is my fave Triassic dino a theropod or not?
> What's the consensus?  Or the factions?

It's on my website, so it must be true...

Triassic saurischian workers still disagree. Some are still finding it as a
basal theropod, other as a basal saurischian. When you are in that part of
the tree, things get really vague. Analogous problems exist for Guaibasaurus
(basal theropod, basal saurischian, or basal saur... Well, let's just say a
new strong alternative has come up), the silesaurs (basal ornithsichians,
dinosaurian sister group, or both?), and so on.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/