RE: UNtame crocs - how can you finish your thesis dodging these guys?

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of B tH
>

> Amazing animals.
> Were there almost-identical species to the salt-water croc at
> the time just before the KT?  What are the odds they could be
> the same genus?

Chris "Master of the Crocodylia" Brochu had an excellent review of the
crown-group crocs in:
http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.earth.31.100901.
141308

In that paper, he shows the fossil record of Indo-Pacific crocs extending
only back the base of the Pliocene, and Crocodylus itself only to the early
Miocene. Taxa like Borealosuchus were present in the latest Maastrichtian:
at a rough glance, they are roughly "Crocodylus"-like (but the devil is in
the details, and they are not closely related phylogenetically to modern
Crocodylus in the larger context of eusuchians).

> By the way, to our Oz friends, why did they name it "alligator" river?

My guess is the same reason that Darwin talked about the "ostrichs" of South
America: refining the common names of various species hadn't occurred during
the 19th Century.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216