Re: Herrerasaurus - a sauropodomorph, really?

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM, B tH <soylentgreenistrex@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm just now absorbing cladistics ... oh, the pain of modernizing.

Went through it myself 15 years ago -- and it was totally worth it.

BTW, "cladistics" generally refers to methodologies for generating
cladograms (i.e., discovering clades). What we were discussing is more
properly termed "phylogenetic nomenclature". (Admittedly, it  is
sometimes called "cladistic nomenclature", but "phylogenetic" captures
the whole approach better, as it can involve taxa other than clades.)
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California