RE: Herrerasaurus - a sauropodomorph, really?

 <4AC89F8E.7070700@gmx.at>

Yes=2C indeed=2C phylogenetic nomenclature and cladistics are totally indep=
endent from each other. Greg Paul used phylogenetic nomenclature in "Dinosa=
urs of the Air"=2C but wasn't that keen on cladistics. He used to use ranks=
. As I side note=2C I've switched to phylogenetic nomenclature as well=2C a=
s the more I've used ranks I've come to realize that they're kind of imprac=
tical. I mean=2C what=2C you go down the ranks of the Theropoda=2C to the "=
family" level=2C and then all of a sudden Aves magically becomes a "class" =
with "orders" and "families" of it's own? The ranks are confusing and... We=
ird.
=20
But I'm still not quite ready to embrace cladistics as a method for produci=
ng phylogenetic hypotheses. It's nice that PN and cladistics are distinct f=
rom one another.=20

> Date: Sun=2C 4 Oct 2009 15:13:50 +0200
> From: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Herrerasaurus - a sauropodomorph=2C really?
>=20
>> BTW=2C "cladistics" generally refers to methodologies for generating
>> cladograms (i.e.=2C discovering clades). What we were discussing is
>> more properly termed "phylogenetic nomenclature". (Admittedly=2C it is
>> sometimes called "cladistic nomenclature"=2C but "phylogenetic"
>> captures the whole approach better=2C as it can involve taxa other than
>> clades.)
>=20
> Cladistics and phylogenetic nomenclature are completely independent of=20
> each other. You can have one without the other. Combining them is easy=20
> (PN needs phylogenetic hypotheses to be applied to=2C and cladistics=20
> provides well-tested ones=3B cladistics provides detailed trees=2C and PN=
 is=20
> an easy way to name their branches)=2C but not necessary in theory or=20
> practice.
>=20
> Someone apparently afflicted with the Dunning-Kruger effect has=20
> introduced prominent mentions of cladistics (and even "cladism"=2C a term=
=20
> that appears to have been deliberately coined to make a method look like=
=20
> an ideology) into the Wikipedia article on PN. I'll have to fix that.
>          =
                          =0A=
Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/=