Re: pterosaur take-off analog

Of course take offs into the wind are easier.

But what would these animals have done when on the ground, in no wind, when a
predator approaches?
If they needed wind to takeoff, they would be lunch far too often, particularly
since there would probably be a strong correlation between lulls in wind, and
when they would be on the ground.
Unless these pteros would just constantly flap to stay off the ground in light
winds, knowing once they landed they couldn't take off again until the wind
picked up.

If the wind is blowing above their stall speed, they need only spread their
wings, its very simple - hardly worth study in my opinion.

If they were feeling particularly "lazy" and the wind was strong enough - they
could probably lie on their stomachs, and just lift their wings up (making a
shallow " V " like silhouette when viewed head on)

You see effortless launches into the wind in hanggliders:
(warning, 1 &3 set to bad music, but they only last a few seconds)
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6344681486819194061#
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=958254119070263198#
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=9211273983270502855#

Hanggliders have 30-40 foot wingspans, aspect ratios of 5.5-12, weights
(including pilot) from 100-200 kilograms, wing loadings of 1-3 lbs/square
foot), very comparable to some of the large pteros (at least some of the HG
variants- the early ones from the 70's and 80's, or the gliders for beginners,
have much lower aspect ratios and would compare very unfavorably in terms glide
ratio).

So a large ptero with much greater control over its wings would surely have
very little trouble taking off with wind like in those videos.

But in general, to be a viable animal, they would need to be able to takeoff
when lacking that wind, or live in an area with extremely consistent winds, or
only land on islands free of predators.
(Im sure albatross, given their extremely long flights while dynamic soaring,
have both very consistent wind, and safe places to land)

--- On Mon, 10/5/09, jrc <jrccea
ct: Re: pterosaur take-off analog