Re: A good day for tyrannosaurs

On Wed, Oct 7th, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/6 Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>:
> >
> > It makes you wonder, though, how the smaller-bodied tyrannosaur species
> > managed to
compete
> > against the juveniles of the larger forms (where they were contemporaneous).
>
> I suppose the chicks of larger taxa would have it worst in such a
> competition, unless they were helped by their parents and then
> consumed what the parents hunted, and not the tyrannosaurids of their
> same size.

Growth rates seem to indicate that a 15-year-old Tyrannosaurus would have been
about the same
size as an adult Alioramus. Of course the two lived at different times and in
different places, but if
Alioramus had roughly the same size and build as Nanotyrannus (assuming Nano to
be a distinct
species), then adult Nanos would have had to deal with equivalent sized
sub-adult Tyrannosaurus
with *fifteen years* of hunting experience.

Of course if Nanos *where* juvenile Tyrannosaurus, then there'd be no
intraspecific competition
(obviously).

Modern big cats in Africa (as an example) tend to have distinct physical
differences. Leopards
survive living around lions by climbing out of harms way, while cheetahs can
easily out-sprint a lion
if need be (using both greater speed and agility).

However most tyrannosaurs tend to have had a similar basic body form, and all
appear to have
been cursorial (no tyrannosaur 'leopard' analogues with those forelimbs!). I
suppose that leaves
the possibility of the smaller-bodied adult forms being like cheetahs - however
Tyrannosaurus
appears to have had extremely gracile hind limb proportions (at least compared
to other large
theropod groups), which I would think would make the lighter juveniles very
quick on their feet.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs