Re: A good day for tyrannosaurs

I think that ecological competition of the kind seen in laboratory
populations, under certain controlled conditions, is often difficult
to see or predict in wild populations.
We consider that ecological competition necesarily leads to the
extinction of one of the competing species from the lab, but then we
have lions and spotted hyaenas eating more or less the same, in the
same place, even killing each other from time to time, and they seem
to coexist instead, at least along the time humans have lived and
recorded the presence of both.
Some factor (or factors) impedes in this case each species from
extinguishing the other, and thus we should not consider, or expect,
that what happens in laboratory is the same which happens in the wild.
Expecting nature to behave like the laboratory may be reductionistic,
and may lead us to wonder why so many different species of similarly
sized theropods, hadrosaurs or ceratopsians, with similarly shaped
teeth, were able to coexist.