Re: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs

#2 seems ugly because it is less explanatory, but this does not denies
the possibility that the proposed pattern is true. You can observe
some pattern before you fully understand its causes, for example,
annual cycles were recognized before understanding the Earth orbit
around the sun. The actual causes of a pattern (if actually true, I do
not know if Cope's Rule is) may not yet be completely known.