Re: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs

2009/10/7 don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>:
> Considering elasmosaurs, and taking Mauisaurus as the extreme example: if one
> takes the small steps of assuming an ability to control buoyancy, and a
> 'breath-holding' capacity to be expected in a large aquatic animal, then the
> ability to 'tread water' w/ the long axis of the body oriented vertically,
> and the nose at the surface is a given. It is my admittedly
> 'seat-of-the-pants' opinion that their design is actually quite appropriate
> to such behavior. Further, propelling the main body upward until the entire
> neck is in the air is trivial. In Mauisaurus, this exercise would end w/ the
> head 12-15m above the water surface, assuming the main body did not breach.

Wait, wait -- Hiller et al. (2005:600) in JVP diagnosed Mauisaurus as
"The species is characterized as an elasmosaur of more than eight
meters adult length and possessing at least 68 cervical vertebrae".
Based on typical elasmosaur proportions, that would make the neck
something like 4 m long.  Has someone subsequently found a specimen
that is 3-4 times bigger?  Or are you proposing that it could leap,
white shark-like, well out of the water?