Re: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs

--- On Wed, 10/7/09, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> That would cause the poor animal to tilt over and hit its
> entire 15 m long throat, and the head, against the water
> surface. Hard.

Not if the main body doesn't leave the water. They weren't powerful swimmers,
like modern whales.

> And why do you think that marine pterosaurs were plentiful
> enough to have an effect on elasmosaurid evolution?

That would be pure speculation on my part, as mentioned. BTW, do you think
marine pterosaurs were particularly rare?

> Besides, what about the recent finds of elasmosaurid
> stomach contents that indicate elasmosaurids were generalist
> bottom-feeders?

I agree that seems a likely feeding mode, all in all. But what about the
not-so-recent finds of Brown? Just a carrion meal? Bones as gastroliths?

I think my central point stands, which is these animals were physically capable
of snagging a pterosaur. Whether they did, or could even eat one if they caught
him is another matter.