Re: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs

--- On Wed, 10/7/09, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> My thoughts exactly. Elasmosaurs appear to have been the
> vacuum cleaners of the sea.
>
> I also have my doubts that an elasmosaur could have held
> it's neck vertically rigid out of the water
> for *any* amount of time. Apart from structural concerns,
> the pressure difference between head
> and body would have been enormous. It's generally very hard
> to catch a pterosaur on the wing
> when you're unconscious.

You have the physics backwards. Body in water, head in air. More pressure on
the body, less pressure on the head is good (w/in reason). Helps the heart pump
higher. So no passing out.

Now, if you are floating on the surface, and send your head to the bottom
(hoover-style) the pressure gradient is a real problem relative to blood flow,
and so passing out might be an issue w/ that feeding scenario...