Re: Pterosaur in water Re: Fw: Water-bourne pterosaur launch

There is indeed a possibility that many pterosaurs, even pelagic ones, could barely swim. However, their anatomy suggests that they could, unlike a Frigate Bird, take off from the water if they were unlucky enough to end up in it for any number of stochastic reasons. Frigate birds have very unusual limb morphology among birds; this would appear to be why they cannot launch from water.

--Mike Habib