RE: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs

 <958fcd230910071532n667de3a2u1202b9c2fb8273a1@mail.gmail.com>

> Date: Wed=2C 7 Oct 2009 23:32:30 +0100
> From: mike@indexdata.com
> To: d_ohmes@yahoo.com
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu=3B tholtz@umd.edu
> Subject: Re: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs

> Wait=2C wait -- Hiller et al. (2005:600) in JVP diagnosed Mauisaurus as
> "The species is characterized as an elasmosaur of more than eight
> meters adult length and possessing at least 68 cervical vertebrae".
> Based on typical elasmosaur proportions=2C that would make the neck
> something like 4 m long. Has someone subsequently found a specimen
> that is 3-4 times bigger? Or are you proposing that it could leap=2C
> white shark-like=2C well out of the water?
=20
At first=2C I wasn't sure that would work.
=20
...then I had a mental image of an elasmosaur pole-vaulting into the air  {=
er=2C neck-vaulting}=2C for the same reason whales spy-hop.
=20
=20
 Clearly I've had too much caffine.

                                          =0A=
Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/=