FW: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs

David. Let me explain about the elasmosaurid scene in Journey
to the Center of the Earth. You may not have seen it. They were
after small fish. They attacked with there necks held horizontally
with their bodies propelled through massive oceanic waves. Not above
them. I merely said the scene was very convincing.

Second item.

I think people are visualising pterosaurs being scarfed from a height
of 10 meters. No. No. Elasmosaurids probably hit pterosaurs very close if not
actually on the water surface. How they ever consumed
pterosaurs is an entirely different matter.

Last item.

What's going on with the plain text being garbled so much??
-- dale

> Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:38:15 +0200
> From: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: FW: *Mauisaurus* vs large pterosaurs
>
> dale mcinnes wrote:
>
>> <4ACD0D0F.2010308@gmx.at> Content-Type: text/plain;
>> charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> (Why do I get to see source text? And BTW, where does all this "=20" and
> "=2C" stuff come from? Till a month ago that never happened on the DML.)
>
>> WHOOOOAA!! =20 The body of the elasmosaurid would not just sit there
>> while the cervical series topped with skull did a slam dunk. Very
>> ugly. Think pretty. What gracefully slides up and out most likely and
>> gracefully = slipped back down.=20
>
> It couldn't slide up gracefully, or at all, in the first place. I mean,
> think about it. The neck is at least as long as the rest of the body,
> very stiff, and massive. That's not a pneumatic sauropod we're talking
> about here. A plesiosaur neck was a massive rod of bone, muscle,
> ligament, tracheal rings (cartilaginous, I suppose), and practically
> nothing else. Where is the center of gravity of such an animal? Far
> enough behind that it could stick its entire neck out of the water? I
> don't think so.
>
>> Further to mention that a generalist would probably take a pterosaur
>> once in a while.
>
> Sure, but that's not the question; the question is whether it would
> happen often enough to drive elasmosaurid evolution.
>
>> Check out the elasmosaurids in the latest Journey
>> to the Centre of the Eart= h. Truly believable and down right truly
>> terrifying!! The animators did a s= pectacular job on them.
>> Everything else was garbage. But the film is worth = purchasing just
>> for that one scene! Spectacular!! --dale =20 =20
>
> Basing scientific hypotheses on pretty/impressive pictures is what has
> given us BAND. Be careful with this approach.

New! Get to Messenger faster: Sign-in here now!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677407