Re: Not: why the long face? but:why the long neck?

On Mon, Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:59 AM, B tH <soylentgreenistrex@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can see where a large monitor whipping its
> tail could both sting/hurt and perhaps even
> break a bone, but a smaller one really doesn't
> pose much of an issue with its tail, does it?

The tail of a smaller monitor won't break any bones, but it *will* hurt like
hell. It can be hard trying to
concentrate on immobilising the bitey end if the other end is flailing about
wildly. By immobilising the
other end as well, you also prevent it from twisting it's body around so that
the hind claws are facing
you (which tend to be roughly at stomach or groin height if you're holding it
while standing up).

The combined whirlwind of teeth, claws and tail make trying to handle a wild
monitor best left to
experts (of which I'm certainly not one).

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs