RE: AW: The cladogram from the supp. inf. of the *Anchiornis* paper

 <519276.50070.qm@web27507.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>

David Marjanovic wrote-
=20
>> Keep in mind this is just the Epidexipteryx analysis with Anchiornis
>> added=2C and the Epidexipteryx analysis was just Senter's (2007)
>> analysis with Epidexipteryx added.
>
> The character list does contain lots of refinements such as plenty of
> added states. Still=2C though=2C it seems that all characters were
> unordered. :-(

Those added states and such are ALL from Senter=2C 2007.  They're refinemen=
ts of the Kirkland et al. (2005) TWG Falcarius matrix.
=20
Eike wrote-

> Including Archie in *anything* is asking for trouble. Not before we know =
waht's with Guimarota=2C and not before we know more about theropod diversi=
ty on the W shore of the Turgai Sea from shortly before Archie to 20 Ma lat=
er. (Even if no theropods are found - *anything* about the ecosystem there =
will help).
=20
Here's what my website says about the supposed Guimarota Archaeopteryx teet=
h-
=20
unnamed probable eumaniraptoran (Weigert 1995)
Kimmeridgian=2C Late Jurassic
Guimarota Formation=2C Portugal
Material- (IPFUB GUI ARCH. 1) tooth
(IPFUB GUI ARCH. 3) tooth=20
(IPFUB GUI ARCH. 4) tooth
(IPFUB GUI ARCH. 5) tooth
(IPFUB GUI ARCH. 7) tooth=20
(IPFUB GUI ARCH. coll.) 98 teeth (1-2.6 mm)
Comments- These teeth are constricted basally=2C with mesial and distal car=
inae. Both lingual and labial surfaces are generally smooth=2C and the ling=
ual surface is concave apically. The labial surface sometimes has faint gro=
oves=2C which were believed to be from wear. Eighty-six teeth have both mes=
ial and distal serrations=2C while the other seventeen sometimes lack mesia=
l serrations and have carinae shifted lingually=2C so are probably premaxil=
lary teeth. The teeth average 1.65 mm in crown height and .60 mm in FABL. S=
errations are low and rounded or slightly pointed=2C with a miniscule size =
of 24/mm.
The specimens differ from Archaeopteryx and other avialans in having serrat=
ions. Weigert (1995) states these may be present but hidden in the former g=
enus=2C since most Archaeopteryx teeth are only visible in labial view=2C w=
here the serrations cannot be seen in the Guimarota specimens. Yet the Lond=
on and Munich specimens of Archaeopteryx both expose serrationless teeth in=
 lingual view=2C showing Weigert is incorrect. He explained the absence of =
serrations in the Munich specimen by claiming it was a distinct species (A.=
 bavarica) which may have differed from A. lithographica in this respect=2C=
 but this is special pleading=2C and the distinctness of A. bavarica is ver=
y poorly supported (see discussion in Archaeopteryx entry). The diagonally =
oriented carina on the apical half of the tooth is described as an archaeop=
terygiform apomorphy=2C but this is true of any teeth which share the same =
stout=2C highly recurved outline (e.g. Sinornithoides). The other cited arc=
haeopterygiform apomorphy is the lingually projected mesial carina=2C but t=
his is found in other taxa such as Sinornithosaurus' anterior teeth. The te=
eth do seem to be maniraptoriform=2C based on the constricted crown base=2C=
 and are not referrable to several groups due to their serrations (Ornithom=
imoidea=2C Oviraptorosauria=2C Avialae)=2C but also lack the enlarged serra=
tions found in most therizinosaurs and derived troodontids. They may belong=
 to a basal troodontid or dromaeosaurid=2C but are not archaeopterygid.
Reference- Weigert=2C 1995. Isolierte Zahne von cf. Archaeopteryx sp. aus d=
em Oberen Jura der Kohlengrube Guimarota (Portugal). N. Jb.=2C Geol. Palaon=
t. Mh. 9=2C 562-576.

> It's nice to include _Shenzhouraptor_=2C but you need more of this sort o=
f fossils. 2 Sapeornithidae too (they barely could have=2C but data availab=
ility has much improved since they did the study).

Sapeornithidae should be called Omnivoropterygidae=2C as it has priority an=
d Omnivoropteryx is just a young Sapeornis (and S. angustis is an even youn=
ger Sapeornis... or Didactylornis?).

Mickey Mortimer
The Theropod Database- http://home.comcast.net/~eoraptor/Home.html
                =