RE: Archaeopteryx bone physiology

On Sat, Oct 10th, 2009 at 5:38 AM, Erik Boehm <erikboehm07@yahoo.com> wrote:

> All the growth curves I've seen for things like T.rexs imply a period of very
> rapid growth...

For Tyrannosaurus, that rapid growth spurt seems to occur in their teenage
years. Up until then
their growth rates are fairly steady.

Modern birds seem to have their growth spurt very early on. They reach adult
sizes very quickly,
then their growth tapers off considerably. This is probably to reach a state of
volancy as soon as
possible.

If Archaeopteryx was as comfortable (or more so) on the ground as in the air,
then there may not
have been such a rush to reach maturity. If it followed a tyrannosaur-like
growth curve, and the
only specimens that we have are all sub-adult, then there's the chance that
they might not show
that sudden growth spurt later in life.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs