Re: FW: The ground-nowhere hypothesis on the origin of bird flight

On Sun, Oct 11th, 2009 at 3:40 AM, dale mcinnes <wdm1949@hotmail.com> wrote:

> That scenario may well
> have started from the trees down with the proavis jumping upon
> its prey leopard style.

I've seen lots of leopard hunting footage over the years, but I've never seen a
leopard leap onto
prey from above.

I've seen them stalking ungulates on the ground, and pursuing arborial prey
like baboons up into
the trees (where the leopard attacks from beneath), but I've never seen them
attack *downwards*.

Do they infact ever leap downwards onto substantial prey? Given that they
generally suffocate
large prey to death, I don't see the practicality of them attacking from
anywhere but underneath.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs