Re: Documentary on monitor lizards

On Sun, Oct 11th, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > "Besides the cuteness factor, the big lizards are being credited by locals
> > for ... eliminating
> other local pests such as... the homeless."
>
> This does look like way too fascist (if with homeless they are talking
> about what I think). Anyway, I do not think a Nile monitor to be that
> bold.

They wouldn't have to kill and eat the homeless to 'eliminate them as pests' -
just scare them off. I
certainly wouldn't want to sleep outdoors in an area with large monitors
roaming about at night.
Afterall; the homeless are only 'pests' when they're in your own neighbourhood.
Once they move
elsewhere they become 'someone else's problem' (that unique form of
invisibility described by
Douglas Adams in the 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' books).

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs