FW: The ground-nowhere hypothesis on the origin of bird flight

 <1255305384.4ad270a8aca97@webmail.chariot.com.au>

Dann.
=20
I stand corrected. Now that I recall=2C leoperds usually run down
trees after their prey. Perhaps I'm thinking jaguar. They at least
will stalk animals in the trees. Perhaps I used a bad analogy there.
--dale

> Date: Mon=2C 12 Oct 2009 10:56:24 +1100
> From: dannj@alphalink.com.au
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: FW: The ground-nowhere hypothesis on the origin of bird flig=
ht

> On Sun=2C Oct 11th=2C 2009 at 3:40 AM=2C dale mcinnes wrote:
>
>> That scenario may well
>> have started from the trees down with the proavis jumping upon
>> its prey leopard style.
>
> I've seen lots of leopard hunting footage over the years=2C but I've neve=
r seen a leopard leap onto
> prey from above.
>
> I've seen them stalking ungulates on the ground=2C and pursuing arborial =
prey like baboons up into
> the trees (where the leopard attacks from beneath)=2C but I've never seen=
 them attack *downwards*.

> Do they infact ever leap downwards onto substantial prey? Given that they=
 generally suffocate
> large prey to death=2C I don't see the practicality of them attacking fro=
m anywhere but underneath.

> --
>
> Dann Pigdon
> GIS / Archaeologist Australian Dinosaurs
> Melbourne=2C Australia http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj
>                                         =0A=
New! Open Messenger faster on the MSN homepage=0A=
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9677405=