RE: Question about hominids (from 'Ardi')

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Box, Rick
>
> Last night on the 'Ardi' special on Discover, a professor
> from Kent State (Owen Lovejoy) talked about how hominids'
> bipedal locomotion was unique in the animal kingdom.
>
> I understand that birds have the 'backwards knee' that's
> really their ankle that makes how they walk different from
> us, but tyrannosaurids and hadrosaurids, and other dinosaurs,
> had the forward knee - how is their locomotion different from
> hominids?
>
> I'm especially curious because somebody on the show (can't
> remember who) made the claim that bipeds are going to be less
> agile and less speedy than quadrapeds. Wouldn't most
> tyrannosaurids disagree?
>
> Could somebody show a dilettante some love?

Two explanations come to mind:

1) Hominid worker forgets the diversity of life outside of primates, or
placental mammals, or something along those lines...

2) (More generous explanation) Most bipeds, including dinosaurian ones, are
balanced with their vertebral column essentially horizontal relative to the
ground. Hominids are unusual (not unique: e.g., penguins) in having their
vertebral column oriented perpendicular to the ground.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/