Re: Question about hominids (from 'Ardi')

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> We can be unique in being a plantigrade
> biped (for more steps than most other primates and bears) but I am not
> sure about gibons.

Sifakas are also plantigrade bipeds on the ground, but they jump
rather than walk.

Gibbons walk primarily bipedally on the ground. All apes are capable
of this to some degree. For example, here's a strutting chimpanzee I
saw at the L.A. zoo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/keesey/2902406586/

I don't think extant non-human primates can lock their knees like us, though.

"Ardi" is interesting because it hints that bipedalism may be
primitive for the human-chimpanzee clade. Considering that gibbons are
bipedal, this could extend to all of  Hominoidea; perhaps further.

Oh, and: dinosaurs, dinosaurs, dinosaurs!!!
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California