Re: Question about hominids (from 'Ardi')

Birds have both knees and ankles, like all limbed vertebrates that don't have drastically reduced limbs (such as... pythons). The knee points forward, and the ankle points backward. Check out the next bird that lands on your dinner table; it looks a lot more like all other dinosaurs than you seem to think.

A bipedal basal hominin was (on the ground) probably less agile and maybe slower than a quadrupedal (though plantigrade) baboon. I think that's what was meant.

 I don't think extant non-human primates can lock their knees like us,
 though.

We can lock our knees??? What do you mean?